Thursday, January 20, 2011

Richard's Last Day... for a while

Today was Richard's last day in the clinical setting on the delivery side of medical care.  Tomorrow, he reports to work for an in-service day, meaning he will be sitting and leisurely learning for his return in a month or so.

His pre-op instructions arrived in the mail today.  Now I can plan if I want to just go to St. Louis to stay or if I should commute 100 miles back and forth. Some motels near the hospital offer special rates, and I need to use the calculator to figure the value.

I was feeling guilty thinking about hanging out in a motel while Richard is isolated and suffering through post-operative recovery.  Don’t get me wrong.  I will be spending the majority of my time sitting at his bedside, but he will need to have times of rest. At those times I will get to check out some St. Louis restaurants and visit with some friends.  Laura is planning on staying with me. She has a couple places to shop that are very near the hospital. If one defines a vacation as “a diversion away from the normal” then from my point of view this is almost sounding like a vacation. I'm pretty certain Richard isn’t planning on frequent flyer miles.
 
Anyhow, back to scheduling… when Richard leaves work tomorrow (Friday) he will be off until he returns after his recovery.  This is his normal weekend off and he routinely has the Wednesday off in the week following his off weekend.  With that he decided to take the two working days off to be able to rest and be ready for his surgery.  Five days off for the price of two was too good a deal to pass up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment